Required files for Skins, any need for *video_menu. (conf or

You have found bug ? Report it here

Postby KJLynch » 14 Mar 2008, 19:46

Hello Wolfgar

hope this is clear

I just wanted a clarification on what files are needed for a given set of skins.

I realize you are simplifying the distribution by including both ts* and ws_ts* files
(both .conf and .bmps)

But just to be clear, my tomplayerskins dir only contains the following 6 files

ws_ts_player_video.conf
ws_ts_audio_menu.conf
ws_ts_audio_menu.bmp
ws_ts_player_video.bmp
ws_exiting.bmp
ws_loading.bmp

and works Perfectly (TT510/710 with a 480x272 screen)
I am running tomplayer version 0.11 (both with Navigation and Standalone modes)

But does anyone need the *ts_video_menu.conf or *ts_video_menu.bmp files anymore??
I think these may be leftovers from gmplayer?

Congrats on the new seperate audio directory (very useful to me)
I also appears you have added a screen saver in audio mode? nice

Why not distribute the new Clint Tomplayer.bmp file for the SDK directory (and in the TTs menu)
I like it's appearance (all 3 versions)

much continued success with tomplayer!!!

Thanks
KJ
KJLynch
Membre

Postby nullpointer » 14 Mar 2008, 20:13

Hello KJLynch,

In fact, there are two set of skins :
- ws_* files are used for widescreen tomtom like yours (resolution of 480x272).
- others files are needed for no widescreen tomtom like tomtom "one" (resolution of 320x240)

And finally, both ot the two sets are provided in the distribution package, because depending of the user tomtom resolution, TomPlayer uses one set or the other.
nullpointer
Site Admin

Postby wolfgar » 14 Mar 2008, 21:21

In fact KJLynch question was more about why not simply remove *ts_video_menu.conf or *ts_video_menu.bmp files i believe...

Well, we could indeed but these are working skins that you may decide to use by adapting tomplayer.ini configuration file...
We are even likely to add more skins from clint and paris in the next releases... Of course, by default, only one of these skins will be used but, at least, the user will be able to choose among a larger choice...

Regarding new Clint Tomplayer.bmp file for the SDK directory (and in the TTs menu), you are right we shall include these files in the official release ...

Regards,

Wolf
wolfgar
Site Admin

Postby KJLynch » 15 Mar 2008, 10:02

wolfgar wrote:In fact KJLynch question was more about why not simply remove *ts_video_menu.conf or *ts_video_menu.bmp files i believe...

Regards,

Wolf

Yes

For that matter
it would be more consistant if tomplayer.ini internally used the same names
*ts_video_menu.bmp and .conf names to MATCH the format *ts_audio_menu names

I undertand the names for video_skin can be changed in the tomplayer.ini file.
And I know that may be beyond the knowledge or capabilities of som tomplayer users
I also realize there is a problem with the maintenance of the filenames of skins already zipped
and posted for distribution.

Perhaps the simplest way is to suggest the user carefully edit the video_skin name in tomplayer.ini
to match the skin name (this way the skin names could be descriptive and require no name standarization)

Or possibly the best answer? is you automate the skin selection process and code it as part of
tomplayer itself. (similar to media file selection) Just a thought.....

Here is another consideration for future refinement. (maybe later)

It would seem to be a good idea to standardize a header of information in the .conf file

example the first line of each conf file as follows
# Author Name, Skin name, version# , size (ws/ts) Date

This is just good housekeeping. Some authors already do most of this others do not,
but there does not appear to be a standard method
It could make it easier to identify if a given skin .conf has been manually scaled up in size
to a larger ws screen size. A formal format could, even allow the tomplayer program
select only skins of the proper size for possible installation to the particular hardware.

In any case it seems like its something that the program and skin authors should
correct now (earlier the better) or just make the current issue more common public knowledge
to the user (maybe to the English users? the Bablefish doesn't always work so well)

My guess is once a user selects a favorite skin they don't change them too often?
so maybe the development time is best spent elsewhere?
(I would like to see more video formats such as .mp4 and .mkv .amv etc if possible)

Anyway keep up the fine work gentlemen

Thanks
KJ
KJLynch
Membre

Postby wolfgar » 15 Mar 2008, 15:25

Thanks for your very interesting considerations regarding skins.
I fully agree.
Skin selection from a dedicated tab in the IHM is on the roadmap for V0.12 ;)
Yet, the roadmap page is not up to date for english readers : i'm going to translate it right now : http://www.tomplayer.net/wiki/doku.php? ... en:roadmap

Regarding the more formal format and auto selection of fitted skins, we have to make a choice with nullpointer :
From my point of view it is better to make things change the right way as soon as possible...

For other video formats, in fact it may already support them :
Edit tomplayer.ini
on the line
filter_video=.mpeg .mpg .avi
add the file extensions you are interested in
That way you will be able to select them from the IHM, then try to play them, some format you are interested in may be already supported
if they are not, ask for the format you want and we shall rebuild mplayer to enable support for them...

regards
wolfgar
Site Admin

Return to Bug report